Monday, July 24, 2006

The Draw of the Theatre

I have friends and family who don't understand why the theatre means so much to me. I've tried my best to explain it, but for some reason, I can't seem to get it across.

It's about passion.

Some people are passionate about sports. Others are passionate about cooking. Or reading, or sewing, or music, or their pets, or any of a number of other things. For me, theatre makes me feel alive and gets my blood pumping. It may not be rational, but then again, passion and reason seldom go hand-in-hand.

For several years, I was not involved in acting. When I look back at those times, I can see that I was drifting in many ways. I filled my days with school for most of that time, but once I finished my formal education, I was wandering aimlessly, without passion for life. Getting back up on the stage brought that passion back to me. I re-discovered my talent and tapped back into my creative side.

To those of us who are passionate about performing, it's not just something we do; rather, it is part of who we are.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fact is, a lot of folks see the amount of time one spends doing theatre related activities, and see it as a big time commitment. However, if you were a football fan (for instance), you spend countless hours watching the game, reading the sports page, etc. Everyone should have a hobby, and all hobbies take time. It's just the way of things.