Monday, February 23, 2015

Catching Up on the Acting Front

I hadn't realized that I had left this blog neglected for more than 5 years. This post will catch you up on the shows I've done in that stretch.

Shipoopi
In 2011, I played Marcellus in "The Music Man" at Garland Summer Musicals. The role is actually a tenor, but there were only two lines in "Shipoopi" that were above my range, so I did a little talk-singing to get through it. 

Mr. Laurence
Spring 2012 found me expanding my age range to play Mr. Laurence in "Little Women" at Rockwall Community Playhouse. This was the play, not the musical. The pic shows me with gray hair, but we changed it to white. I didn't get any pics with it that way. This was also when I had lost a lot of weight thanks to my marathon training and watching my eating. Alas, I have not kept the weight off.

Mr. Gatch
Mr. Toynbee
Just a few months after that, I was back on the boards at Garland Summer Musicals in the roles of Mr. Gatch & Mr. Toynbee. I had wanted to do this show for awhile, so that was nice. The only disappointment was that because of my dual roles, I wound up not getting to be in any musical numbers other than the opening. Because of the amount of gel that I had to use to get my hair slicked back and stay that way through Act 1, I had to take a shower as soon as I left the stage for the last time as Mr. Gatch. Then, the Director wanted me back as Gatch for the Curtain Call, so I had to pile it one again. My hair was fried, and I had to use baking powder on it to get all the residue out.




In Summer 2013, I got the opportunity to play one of my dream roles: John Adams in "1776". I was cast in the lead role at Rockwall Summer Musicals and enjoyed every minute of it. The only drawback to RSM is that shows only run one weekend for 4 performances. With the exception of the ponytail, which was an extension, the rest of the hair you see in the pics is all mine.
I took Summer 2014 off, but I got back up there in the Fall with my second ever production of "Rumors" by Neil Simon. Like the first time, this show was at Rockwall Community Playhouse. The difference was that this time, I was cast in the lead role of Lenny Ganz. I don't have any pictures from this one.



I don't know when I'll do my next show, but when I do, I promise to keep you informed.

No comments: