Sunday, May 14, 2006

The Day that the Lights Went Out in Rockwall

Today, we had a matinee. Mother's Day. Ugh!

Well, I think the idea of having a show on Mother's Day is horrible, but I didn't notice the date when I auditioned for this show. But, being the consummate professional I am, I showed up as required. We were rocking along until about 3 minutes were left in Act One when BOOM! the power went out.

There wasn't an actual "BOOM" noise, but it was instantaneous. Okay, maybe not quite instantaneous. There was a slight power dip, then a surge, then the lights went out. I kept going with my lines. Felix was a little shaken, not knowing whether to plow ahead. He eventually started back up, but after a few lines, the Stage Manager pulled the curtain.

The audience was asked at the premature intermission what they wanted to do, and they all wanted the show to go on. Thankfully, there was enough light from the outside to be able to see on stage.

We did all of Act Two and most of Act Three before the lights came back on with about 3 minutes to go before the final curtain.

The audience was very responsive while the lights were out. I'm guessing that because there weren't many visual distractions, they were paying more attention to the lines than they might otherwise.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Now that is class!!

Lonny

GREAT SHOW