Monday, March 27, 2006

My Top 5 Favorite Roles

The roles I've enjoyed most in my acting "career" thus far:

5. Kurt in Sound of Music

My first role. I was in seventh grade at the time. This was the role and show that started my love affair with the theatre. I'm not particularly fond of this show any more, but this part should probably always get a mention in any list of this type.

4. Pookie in Loving Molly

To the best of my knowledge, this play is still un-published. It was written by a local playwright in Raleigh, North Carolina. The play is based on a true story of a woman with multiple personality disorder that was presumably caused by sexual abuse by her grandfather. My character was a family friend who may or may not also have sexually assaulted the main character when she was young. The script never makes it clear whether he really tried to do anything or if the main character had mistaken his actions because of the abuse she was suffering at the hands of her grandfather.

3. Mr. Gilmer in To Kill a Mockingbird

Although this character is a Prosecuting Attorney, like Pookie in Loving Molly, he is very much unlike me. When rehearsals began, I was extremely uncomfortable with some of the language I had to use. The cast for this show was excellent from top to bottom, and I enjoyed branching out to a theatre outside my comfort zone.

2. Bobby Child in Crazy for You

My first Leading Role. I got this part pretty much by default. Nobody else came to auditions who even remotely fit the part. I lost 30 pounds during rehearsals (but it all came back later), and I had to learn to tap dance. 11 songs. Lots of dancing. On stage about 80% of the show. This is the role that prompted my dad to say I moved pretty good for a fat guy.

1. Chris Keller in All My Sons

I wasn't supposed to be in this show. I was the Director. I had to step in when the actor I cast in the role quit about 2 1/2 weeks before we were scheduled to open. I had the pleasure of acting with a good friend, Lonny Schonfeld, who played my character's father. We had some intense scenes.


Hmmm . . . 3 dramas and 2 musicals. Probably 6th & 7th would be roles in Neil Simon Comedies: Ken in Rumors and Roy in The Odd Couple. I do like Drama, but unfortunately, in our little theatre, dramas do not draw in audiences.

No comments: